What are the best software development methodologies?
Software development methodologies play quite an important role in the development of software. There are actually a number of different methodologies that the professional developers of the development companies use.
Each of the software development techniques is different from the others that are used as per the suitability based on the software that is to be developed. All of the development processes have their own advantage as well as disadvantages.
Hence, the developers make sure to use the most appropriate one which is ideal for the software which is being developed. Some of the best software development methods along with the software process models’ advantages and disadvantages are as enumerated below.
Here’re the best software development process models list
1) Black Box Testing
Another of the software development process which is used in a case where the internal implementation of an item that is being tested is not known to the user.
This software methodology is also referred to as behavioral testing and the method is helpful for finding out the errors in case of the missing or incorrect functions, errors in the structure of data, errors in performance, termination errors and a number of others.
- Highly effective in case of the complex and large applications
- In the early stages of testing and development, the defects can be identified
- All of the inputs are quite difficult to be identified
- The test cases are difficult for designing without any kinds of specifications
2) Agile Software Development
Agile is one of the best software development methodologies. This system development methodology is basically a conceptual framework for the purpose of embarking software engineering projects. The ultimate goal here is the minimization of risk by the development of software in short iterations.
This is actually an umbrella that necessarily describes a number of agile software development approaches that are specifically designed for the fulfillment of needs of the rapidly changing environment.
- Highly transparent because of the fact of direct communication
- Adaptation is just too quick as per the needs of the changing environment
- Assessing the efforts of large software projects is quite difficult particularly in the initial stages of software development
- Documentation produced is less because of the development is code-focused.
3) Rapid Application Development Model
This model is another of the very popular software engineering methods that make use of minimal planning in favor of very quick prototyping. It is basically a type of increment model where the components are developed in parallel.
Different phases are there in this model which are process modeling, business modeling, application generation, data modeling along with testing as well as turnover.
- Initial reviews occurrence is quite rapid
- Encourages customer feedback
- The model is dependent on the skills of modeling of the developers
- Not applicable to the projects that are cheaper
4) Prototyping Model
This is certainly one of the most popular software development methodologies. In this software development life cycle of the SDLC model, a prototype is built, tested and reworked as per requirements.
This software design methodology works the best at the time when all of the details of the requirements are known a lot prior to the development of the software.
- Leads can be refined so as to accommodate new requirements
- Design is highly flexible in nature
- Involves a lot of time and it is pricey
- The determination of the number of iterations is uncertain
5) White Box Testing
This is one of the software development methodologies or software development techniques that necessarily requires the tester to have sufficient knowledge of programming.
This software design methodology is also known as clear box testing or glass box testing. In this method, the tester selects the inputs to work on the paths by making use of coding for the determination of the output.
- This methodology can be very easily and conveniently automated
- It is of great help in the optimization of the code
- The method is quite a complex one and involves a high cost
- Consumes a lot of time in case the applications are large
6) Extreme Programming Methodology
This is another of the very useful software engineering methods which aim at the improvement of the quality of the software. This model is also referred to as the XP model and is necessarily the most important model for the development of software of the Agile model framework.
In this method of development, the involvement of the customer is quite high at the time of the process of development.
- Traceability is greater within the process of modeling
- Customer involvement is the main area of focus and necessarily provides software without any compromise in its quality
- The future outcomes and possibilities are not known
- The effectiveness of the model is directly proportional to the involvement of the people
7) Spiral Model
This software design methodology is a blend of iterative development and systematic as well as the controlled aspect of the Waterfall development model.
This development method allows refinement with the help of each iteration around the spiral. This model is quite helpful for early identification of the risks involved in the project and the reduction of the same.
- Highly efficient in cases of the complex as well as large projects
- A superb development model because of efficient risk analysis and handling at each stage of development
- This model is very expensive and hence not a suitable option for projects with low budgets
- Time estimation is very difficult
8) Joint Application Development Methodology
This software design methodology involves the end-user in the design as well as the development of any applications with the help of joint application development sessions.
This is basically a requirement classification and a user interfaces expansion approach for the purpose of accentuating as well as confirming the software system. The focus in this method is on the level of difficulty of the business instead of on the methodological details.
- The huge amount of valuable information in a short span of time
- Differences can be immediately resolved with suitable assistance
- Involves a lot of time for the purpose of planning as well as scheduling
- This methodology requires highly trained and skilled experts which are difficult to get